Rebecca S. Yocum
Attorney at Bottaro, Kubin & Yocum, P.C.
Rebecca S. Yocum joined the law firm as a senior shareholder in August 2008. Prior to joining Bottaro, Kubin & Yocum, Ms. Yocum was a partner at Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP. Ms. Yocum has extensive experience in civil litigation in state and federal courts throughout the country, having tried many cases to successful jury verdict. Today, Ms. Yocum focuses her practice in the areas of Business Litigation, Employment, and Insurance law.
Ms. Yocum earned her undergraduate degree from Missouri Southern State College before receiving her Juris Doctorate from the University of Missouri – Kansas City School of Law. She is admitted to practice in Missouri and Kansas state courts, the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri, the United States District Court for the District of Kansas, the United States District Court for the District of Colorado, and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Ms. Yocum has held numerous leadership positions in local and state bar associations. She is a former member of the Board of Directors of the Lawyers Association of Kansas City.
Ms. Yocum is a former president of the Advisory Board of Directors for Research Medical Center. She previously held a three-year term on the Board of Trustees for the Village Presbyterian Church, serving as Chair of the Board in her third year. Her experience in the areas of business litigation and forms of personal injury make her a trusted legal adviser in the Kansas City area.
- Obtained a defense verdict in Jackson County Circuit Court on behalf of an employer in a MHRA retaliation claim.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment as a plaintiff on fraud claims in Jackson County Circuit Court for a bank client.
- Achieved a major trial victory in Jackson County Circuit Court on behalf of the client involving claims of mortgage fraud and inflated appraisals in conspiracy with the mortgage broker and others to defraud plaintiff in a mortgage transaction.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of a class action against a bank client in the United States District Court for the District of Nebraska. Plaintiffs alleged the client violated the National Bank Act, the Bank Holding Company Act and the Depository Institutions Deregulation and Monitoring Control Act by, among other things, charging usurious interest. The dismissal was recently affirmed by the 8th Circuit.
- Obtained a defense verdict for a property management company in a damage claim whereby plaintiff alleged defective wiring caused a fire in her apartment.
- Successfully represented a Kansas bank client in a case of first impression involving competing liens and the effect of the homestead exemption on property exceeding one acre.
- Obtained a defense verdict in the United States District Court of Kansas on behalf of a university in a Title VII and Equal Pay Act claim.
- Successfully obtained dismissal of a class action against a bank client in Cook County, Illinois. Plaintiffs alleged the client had violated the Illinois Interest Act. The dismissal was affirmed by the Illinois Court of Appeals.
- Obtained a dismissal of two bank loan officers in Joliet, Illinois on various tort claims.
- Obtained recent summary judgment for two loan officers in Jackson County, Missouri alleging a variety of tort claims.
- Achieved a major jury defense verdict in the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri on behalf of an appraiser client accused of mortgage fraud.
- Attained summary judgment for an insurance broker on various tort claims, which summary judgment was upheld by the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Obtained summary judgment for a bank client on lender liability claims arising in a Kansas foreclosure action.
- Obtained summary judgment for an insurer on claims made on a financial institution crime bond, which summary judgment was upheld by the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Scored a major victory when the United States District Court for the District of Colorado granted her client summary judgment on an $11 million claim brought by the FDIC on a financial institution crime bond.
Ms. Yocum is a successful business litigation lawyer in the Kansas City area.